Thursday, September 8, 2011

The Weather Here Has Been Contemptible

The heat here in Phoenix has been overwhelming for the last several weeks. Extremely high heat and high humidity just sucks. Coming in to the office covered in sweat isn't much fun, and getting home absolutely soaked with sweat is less fun. So I've been carpooling with Lady Luck.

I was getting a bit twitchy from the time away from the bike, though, and I am glad the temperatures are falling.

This morning I rode in to work for the first time since early August. It's funny how quickly new routines develop, and how difficult it can be to get back in to an old routine. I got my boots on, and then had to stop and think about what gear I needed to put on next.

It's probably for the best, then, that I was less than two miles from home when I encountered a guy in a Mustang that wanted to race. Silly man, Mustangs are many things, but they aren't fast.* Not compared to a bike, anyhow. After giving him a brief demonstration of how inertia impedes velocity, I felt like I was back in the groove.

Fall is just around the corner, which means comfortable riding. Hooray!


*I can say that because I really like Mustangs, even if they're a bit poky.

0 comments: